Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Diaper-free???

MSNBC is carrying a story from the Associated Press on the "diaper-free" movement. To quote one of the diaper-free moms, "being able to travel without a big, bloated diaper bag is terrific”. Now I'm all for advancing the potty-training concept, but I'm thinking it may be a bit tough to potty train someone who can't focus more than 8-10 inches in front of their face, don't you?

And, as for the diaper bag. I'm all for travling with a "big, bloated diaper bag". I spent much of my adult years trying to cram everything a girl needs into a Louis Vuitton pochette (i.e. cell phone/blackberry, house keys, lipstick, money, credit cards, etc., etc.) and now I can finally carry a giant bag. I get to be like Batman. I can carry all of man's greatest inventions in travel size. In fact, I not only have one diaper bag, but two. One is stylish the other utilitarian (and plain enough that the Husband can carry it too, if need be, and it doesn't look like a "man bag").

I've not only got diapers but I have three different kinds of purell (before having a baby I didn't even know they made different kinds of purell... for what it's worth, I prefer the "aloe and vitamin e" formula-- it's very soothing), band-aids, sensitive baby wipes, multiple pacifiers, baby wash, shout pads, a small duck that contains deodorizing diaper disposal bags (courtesy of in-the-know and ever resourceful Sister-In-Law), cell phone, blackberry, lipstick, wallet, car keys, burp cloths, baby socks, hat and onesie, sample packs of Boudreau's butt paste (hoping that we never need to use that...), ready-to-feed Similac, spare bottles, changing pad. give me a stick of gum and some toothpicks and I could be MacGuyver. I'm sorry but diapers or not, you totally *need* the diaper bag. Once Miss S. begins on solid food I'll have to add the bibity, food, spoons, etc. to the mix.

Babies travel with their own entourage and that entourage is made up of stuff.

Potty trained or not, you have to have the bag.

No comments: