Thursday, February 04, 2010

So, what's up?

Well, not too much, I suppose. The Husband and Baby have been sick for what seems like ever, aa evidenced, at least in part by the fact that as I type this it sounds like I'm sleeping next to Darth Vader.

Thanks to 410e9th, last week I completed (and bombed) the online Jeopardy! Contestant quiz. Mind you I knew the answers to more than 35 of the 50 questions, but I was woefully unprepared for the evil test taking format. Alas, there's always next time. I wasn't captain of my high school quiz bowl team for nothing (it, along with memorizing the entire deck of Trivial Pursuit questions, was all part of my lifelong Jeopardy! Training strategy).

In other news, during our illness quarantine Baby and I made paper bag puppets. Yes there is a good use for the 47 different sizes of paper bags that they have at Whole Foods.

We also did some Redboxing. Whiteout? It's like a bad Lifetime movie. Surrogates? A lame remix of Minority Report, I, Robot, yada, yada, yada.

On the book front I have officially given up on Gomorrah. I made it about halfway through and what would have been interesting as a 10 or 12 page article in VF or the New Yorker just became not interesting enough to keep reading.

Instead I moved on to Homer and Langley, E. L. Doctorow's spin on the Collyer Brothers. On the whole it wasn't bad but it did seem a little thin. The narrative moved through time very quickly-- I think it would have been more interesting if the story spent more time in each time period. It was also told entirely from Homer Collyer's perspective, I think it would have been interesting if we could have also gotten Langley's voice out there too. As an FYI, if you plan to read it, do be aware that the author has taken liberties with the main characters. In the book he has switched their birth order, made Homer the pianist, and among other things, expanded their lifespan. The Collyers died in the late forties but in the book they live through the seventies.

Next up? Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island, which I hope to finish before the Scorsese/DiCaprio version comes out in theaters later this month.

No comments: