Thursday, January 20, 2011

From the You've Got To Be Kidding Files

So I post to my Facebook status a reference to a song. Yes, I'm one of "those" people. I do this often. Either a lyric, or a song. I spend a lot of time listening to my iPod in the car and it just seems fitting.

I post a reference to a Pearl Jam song, one of those typical angsty '90s songs that was popular in high school. It had been on in the car and fit my mood, so why not. (It is, after all, my favorite Pearl Jam song), notwithstanding the bit at the end that gets repetitive and kind of grating, but whatever.

A friend from High School sees this and posts that the song always reminds him of pining away for someone in high school.
I respond by agreeing, wholeheartedly. It's just that kind of song.

We go back and forth and he, bravely, reveals who his high school crush was-- a lovely girl, who I never knew he liked, even though, during high school we were pretty good friends. He asks me to do the same, citing the passage of time.

I say, sorry, but no cigar. After all these years nobody needs an ego boost, especially since I'm not pining, I just happened to hear the song, though it does remind me of pining. You see, for me, the song wasn't just a soundtrack for longing, but was actually playing, in the car on a so-called "date" with a particular person.

Who I am friends with on Facebook, who I wish to remain nameless.

Until that guy posts a comment.

Schmuck.

So I respond also, saying nothing specific, but implicating two friends.

One of which I have now reached out to, asking, (okay, begging) to throw out the name of another High School crush guy.

And suddenly, at age 35, I'm not only reminded of high school, but find myself back in it.

Thanks, Mark Zuckerberg. Thanks so much. ;)

No comments: