Sunday, April 30, 2006

Nobu 57

So, everybody has been talking about Nobu 57. Not that Nobu itself is anything new, its been around for years, but either way I've never been. Much like how I became an iPod user (after thinking to myself, "Wouldn't it be great if there was a device where I could record all of my cds and carry them around with me", only to discover, yeah that's been around for a while-- its called an MP3 player! Hello!) I decided it would be a good idea to go. So, I made reservations for Friday at 5:45-- nothing like sushi as the early bird special.

The Husband was stuck in loan document drafting hell so 410e9th was nice enough to join me on 57th, no not 47th and not downtown, 57th!

Once we arrived we were informed that there would be a seating in "a few minutes", so after hanging out in the downstairs bar area we went on up to the "host" station. It was quite a scene, there were about 6 or 7 of us waiting to be directed, I felt much like we were at a ticket gate at Newark. One Asian man tried to co-op a seat by walking right past the host station-- this was not well received.

When it was our turn the maitre 'd gave us a good stare down before deciding what table we were worthy of. I being in jeans (though they were 7s, and I had my Chanel bag...) and 410 being in an Old Navy fleece, were regarded as strictly back of the house crowd. Or perhaps it was front of the house-- either way we were conspicuously seated away from the other customers and in a brightly lit area, perhaps with the thought that with lesser ambiance we might eat faster.

As for the food-- the miso cod was by all accounts a "bit fishy", the tempura rock shrimp was very tasty and the sushi was okay-- but honestly not the best I've ever had, and I don't know how much that says since I haven't had much sushi. It was also a first time for green tea for me, and I can honestly say I've never had tea before which actually curled my lip. Anti-oxidants or not, I'll take snapple over green tea any day. While it was certainly an experience-- especially once the two very Bergdorf Blondes with matching mink capes came and sat next to us (clearly the novelty t-shirts they were wearing under the mink subtracted from their fashion points if the end result was that they were seated next to Denim and Old Navy...)-- I doubt I'll rush back to make another reservation... though those rock shrimp were tasty!

No comments: