Monday, November 24, 2008

San Marzano Tomatoes!

Tonight we made Tomato sauce from scratch using San Marzano tomatoes! I'm sure this is no new developments for most folks, but I had never tried a can of San Marzano before. I put a large can of San Marzano in a sauce pan, added a bit of cream, some salt, pepper, italian seasoning, a good bit of basil and a touch of garlic salt. After simmering for a bit I added in some of the vegetables from last night's ratatouille (specifically, the eggplant and zucchini and a few red and yellow peppers). The result was a nice light tomato basil sauce with veggies! We had the sauce over fresh gnocchi (which unfortunately, I did not make, they were store bought from WF). Add a crusty loaf of bread and some fontinella and you've got a tasty dinner!

No comments: