Monday, March 10, 2008

A New Endeavor...

The Husband asked the other day if I was having a hard time unwinding from the bar exam. I responded that I thought I wasn't having any problems, but then realized that over the past week I had made appointments with every kind of contractor known to man (carpeting, cabinent/countertop people, hardwood floor restorers, fencing installers, mason/stone pointing people), read a 315 page nonfiction book, caught up on two months of periodicals, entered two more art contests, began making felt play food for Miss Baby, and prepared a full punjabi dinner (both meat and vegetarian).

So maybe there was something to this idea that I haven't been able to properly relax since taking the bar. Since taking care of Baby and working part-time from home leave me with such a lot of personal time, I've decided to watch all 80 Best Picture Academy Award winners. Why not? I can do it while knitting (Dad-- your pumpkin hat is almost done!) Below is a list of the winners. Part of the challenge of this project is a) finding all of the movies on VHS or DVD and b) locating where I put my old VCR. Oh, the other rule? I have to watch them *in order*. If you have any of the movies below that you wouldn't mind lending, it would be much appreiciated! Oh, and of course, progress will be reported on the Blog.


Wings
The Broadway Melody
All Quiet on the Western Front
Cimarron
Grand Hotel
Cavalcade
It Happened One Night
Mutiny on the Bounty
The Great Ziegfeld
The Life of Emile Zola
You Can't Take it With You
Gone with the Wind
Rebecca
How Green Was My Valley
Mrs. Miniver
Casablanca
Going My Way
The Lost Weekend
The Best Years of Our Lives
Gentleman's Agreement
Hamlet
All the King's Men
All About Eve
An American in Paris
The Greatest Show on Earth
From Here to Eternity
On the Waterfront
Marty
Around the World in 80 Days
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Gigi
Ben-Hur
The Apartment
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
Tom Jones
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
A Man for All Seasons
In the Heat of the Night
Oliver!
Midnight Cowboy
Patton
The French Connection
The Godfather
The Sting
The Godfather Part II
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Rocky
Annie Hall
The Deer Hunter
Kramer vs. Kramer
Ordinary People
Chariots of Fire
Gandhi
Terms of Endearment
Amadeus
Out of Africa
Platoon
The Last Emperor
Rain Man
Driving Miss Daisy
Dances with Wolves
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Chicago
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
The Departed
No Country for Old Men

2 comments:

410E9th said...

I tried going through AFI' top 100 films a couple years back. Of course, I didnt rewatch films I already saw. How many of these films have you not seen?

Also, The "In-order requirement" seems unnecesary no? I assume you are going to group by decade. I would check your local library tosee if they have these on DVD. In NYC its real easy to reserve these types of films.

cheers

Rue said...

I've seen 36 of the 80 (paltry, I know) I've seen 53 of the AFI 100. The in order requirement gives it the real feel of a challenge! And you're right, I can find all of these at the NYPL. Now I just need a library card. ;)