Friday, October 27, 2006

New York's Best Doctors, 2006

So, the doctor I've been seeing needed to give me some referals. I got three names, lets call them, Manny, Moe and Jack. I call up Manny's office and I'm told that Manny won't be practicing after January. Any alternative's? Manny's office gives me the number for Moe and Jack (as if there aren't any other doctors in town). I do a quick Google search for Moe and lo and behold I find that Moe has been sued (and lost) for malpractice for just the sort of think that I'm looking for help with. So, that crosses Moe off the list, call me old fashioned. I try Jack (despite the fact that Jack and Moe share an office and I might end up getting stuck with Moe anyway)... Jack won't call me back. I've tried three times and I'm told, "they're backed up with calls, they'll call you today." Okay, what if it was an emergency? Great service! I did some research on my own and found a guy listed in New York Magazine's Best Doctors of 2006. I figured there was surely no way in hell that he'd give me an appointment, and I was right. Thanks, Blue Cross Blue Shield--- why even show this guy as in your plan? So, I ask this guy's office for a referal. The give me another name. I call them. I'm interrogated as to why I'm looking to switch doctors and then I'm told that I can drop off all of my records at a mysterious location on the way Upper East Side and Dr. Hoity-Toity will review my records and make a determination as to whether they will consider giving me an appointment.

FYI, I'm not looking for a plastic surgeon.

No comments: