Monday, July 23, 2007

Dinner!

Tonight we had four cheese ravioli (Buitoni) tossed in olive oil and butter with ricotta, black pepper and grated pecorino romano. With it we had asparagus (steamed and then sauteed in garlic and olive oil) and caponata.

Caponata is a Sicilian eggplant salad, kind of like bruschetta (but with eggplant, rather than tomato as the main ingredient)... I sauteed in olive oil two medium graffiti eggplant (cut into cubes) and a quarter of a vidalia onion (chopped). Once the onion was translucent and the eggplant soft, I added a handful of sliced grape tomatoes and one chopped roasted red pepper. I added dried oregano, pepper and some salt as well as a good sprinkling of golden raisins. I continued cooking these items together on low heat and after a bit I added two teaspoons of sugar and 1/4 of a cup of red wine vinegar, as well as tablespoon of capers (drained). I kept these items cooking together (on low heat), stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes, until the mixture had thickened. It can be served hot, cold or room temperature and was great on bread!!

With all these great summer vegetables, next up-- Zucchini bread!!!

No comments: