Friday, February 20, 2009

It's been a bad week for electronics....

Last week my blackberry bit the dust. Alas, it had inadvertently fallen to the ground one too many times for its own good and the last blow was directly to the track wheel (which apparently is about as technologically advanced these days as using a doodle pro for email)... I quickly learned that without the trackwheel, I couldn't scroll through emails, select applications or generally use the damn thing. Thankfully, the Job provided me with an upgrade, to a Blackberry 8130 "Curve". Yay! It's got a Qwerty keyboard (though the keys are super tiny, so that will take some getting used to), it came with a headset... the folks in New York State will be happy with that at least for purposes of those pesky "handsfree device" rules..., and a camera and all other sorts of neat goodies! So, when I got home from the office the other day, I went to turn on my work computer and what happened? Blue screen of death? Why no, it wouldn't even boot up to the blue screen! I've got a DOS prompt telling me that one of the programs necessary to make the computer function is either (a) lost or (b) corrupted. So, I called the gentleman in IT who handled my blackberry set up and read him the error message. I am then told, in a low voice: "Oh.... You're going to have to bring that in." I swear, this was NOT intentional! Perhaps I have become magnetized like Jack Black in "Be Kind Rewind", or it is possible that my laptop just decided to give up on life after working for two years (it had started overheating something terrible and the battery power pack thing would get hot enough to practically fry an egg on!) None of that could be good.

No comments: