Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thoughts on Tonight's TV Viewing

Okay, Wipeout? On ABC? Have you seen this show? I know it was on last summer too, but it still amazes me that it's been renewed. Not to mention that, but at least tonight's episode seemed to be longer than an hour. What on earth has happened to prime-time television? I know it's summer, but still! How many times can you watch people being knocked off of poles by a giant swinging arm? And the double entendres are just too hokey. If ABC is really this desperate for programming, why not bring back Battle of the Network Stars?? Now, this was tried in 2003 but without a good cast. You need a good cast-- just think the cast of Heroes try to beat out the cast of Lost at tug-of-war... but if that proves too expensive I would even be entertained just watching re-runs of the originals. Shattner (circa T.J. Hooker), Billy Crystal, Lou Ferrigno, Larry Hagman, LeVar Burton, the cast of Happy Days (i.e. Ron Howard before the ye old directing career) most importantly Howard Cosell!

Fine. Don't take my advice, programming bigwigs.

In other matters, we did watch Top Chef Masters. I have to say, it wasn't the same without Padma. Mostly I was distracted thinking-- where's Padma?

After sitting through two hours of that since it really couldn't hold my attention at any stretch long enough for me to see what was going on... I flipped around our movie channels and found a long time favorite on Flix: A Room with a View. What a great cast! Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Helena Bonham Carter (to name a few) and of course, Daniel Day Lewis. Well, at least this makes up for Wipeout!

2 comments:

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

But I am now totally in love with Hubert. I mean...he cooks and DJs?! Swoon...

(But I have to admit, the shower mac and cheese *was* a little TMI.)

Ellen said...

Wipeout didn't interest me, so I didn't bother.

As far as Top Chef Masters, oh I must agree - this show needs Padma. It's not that Kelly Choi isn't cute, she's just not Padma. It's like The Fashion Show trying to replace Project Runway. It just doesn't work.