Thursday, November 22, 2007

Butternut Squash Soup!

Tonight, as a precursor to Thanksgiving, I had planned to make Butternut Squash soup. Last week I had made Ina Garten's recipe and it was okay but not as flavorful as I was hoping. I have had Whole Food's BSS before and it was really tasty so I went on the WF website to checkout their recipe resources but none were too helpful. I also consulted with the Gourmet cookbook and Epicurious, from all of this I got some ideas and then put together my own recipe...

1 2 pound Butternut Squash
1 Green Apple (Granny Smith)
1 Leek (green and white parts) chopped
1 1/2 cup diced mirepoix
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cans (14oz. each) of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of garlic salt, kosher salt and black pepper to taste

Sautee the leeks and mirepoix in the butter and olive oil on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until soft (with leeks and onions translucent). Add vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Cut up squash and apple into rough chunks and add to vegetable broth, increase heat to bring to a slow boil, then simmer until squash is soft. Add remaining seasonings (with additional amounts of seasoning to taste, if preferred). Once the squash is soft, puree soup and serve.

I served the soup with home made pumpernickel and rye croutons and grated Gruyere. (I made the croutons by cutting up Pepperidge Farm Pump/Rye swirl bread, coating with olive oil and baking at 350 for 12 minutes... I also added some grated Gruyere on to the croutons before baking as well).

The soup was very creamy (even though no cream or milk was involved) and the apples gave it a fresh, light taste.

Do try and let me know what you think!

No comments: