Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Dinner!

Tonight I made Ina Garten's take on Chicken Milanese and it was good (we've made this before!) In addition I made a vegetable/couscous dish. I sauteed onions (half of one sweet onion, sliced) and then added a yellow pepper (cut in large chunks), zuchini-- sliced thin and then quartered, and eggplant quarters. (I had cut up the eggplant ahead of time and tossed it with kosher salt to draw out any bitterness). I added olive oil and some balsamic vinegar to the mix together with freshly ground black pepper, some salt, basil and oregano. Once the vegetables began to soften I added a half a can of diced tomatoes to the mix. I let this simmer, covered until the vegetables were tender. Then I wanted to add a box of Near East Couscous (Parmesan flavor...). I poured the contents of the couscous spice sack into a bowl and added some water-- eyeballing it to make sure that once the water and spice sack mixture was added to the vegetables there wouldn't be too much liquid for making the couscous. I whisked the spice sack contents with the water and then added the mixture to the vegetables. I turned the heat up and once the liquid in the vegetables was bubbling I added the couscous, turned off the heat and covered the pot. Five minutes later-- poof! Puffy couscous surrounded by tasty vegetables.

No comments: