Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Gold Coast

So I'm always looking for tips on good books to read (not that I actually have time to read books, I'm still six months behind on magazines and other periodicals, but I like to aspire to read...) so I was checking in on one of the bloggers that I read and she noted that she's reading "The Gold Coast" by Nelson DeMille. Forgive me if Mr. DeMille (if that even is his real name) is the next Nicholas Sparks or John Grisham and I've just been living in a cave, but I'd never heard either of the author or the book, so I happily clicked on the link thinking perhaps I've got a nice non-fiction book that I could assess as being potentially read-worthy. You see, blogger struck me as the type to be somewhat hoity-toity (but in a good and fashionable way) and potentially a good recommender of books. When I saw the phrase "Gold Coast" I'm immediately thinking it is some kind of non-fiction tome about the history of British Colonialism in West Africa, or the like. Sadly, The Gold Coast was a former BOMC main selection and is a trashy paperback fiction tome about a "WASP-y priggish Wall Street lawyer" that somehow gets involved with a Mafia boss on Long Island's Gold Coast.

I guess there's just no judging a book by its title.

No comments: