Wednesday, January 03, 2007

News of the World...

Here are a bunch of typically random thoughts....

First, thanks to Em for sending this New York Times story about the closing of Micawber Books in Princeton. It is quite a shame-- Micawber is one of the fun places downtown to go, hang out and find fabulous books, used and otherwise. To paraphrase Meg Ryan's character in You've Got Mail, it is likely to now turn into something really depressing like a Starbucks or a Baby Gap. (Actually, it appears that the space will be taken over by a chain book store hired by Princeton University and will be part of the University Store).... sure, why didn't we ever have anything like that at the Big Red Store at Cornell???

Next item: The Good Shepard. I had high hopes. The husband, however, knew it would be a borefest and he was right (he had the fine idea to stay home the day the folks and I headed to the Garden Theater to see it.... note to the folks who run the Princeton Garden Theater-- fabulous theater, but really, you need to sell Nachos.) Clocking in at almost 3 hours long those are 3 hours I'll never get back. Towards the end of the film I leaned over to my mom and said-- I'm going to need a ham sandwich after this (okay, so that had less to do with how boring the movie was and more to do with the fact that there were no nachos involved-- see complaint above). All I can say is De Niro is an incredible acting talent, but he needs to leave the directing to Scorsese. A mental comparison between this flick and The Departed and there is no comparison. And that guy that they got to play Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie's son?? Okay, just because you have big lips doesn't mean you look like Angie's offspring. I'm sure it was all make-up, but they needed someone considerably less goofy looking to play their kid. Why don't you just hire Crispin Glover and get it over with?

On other fronts. Today is one of those pregnancy low-self-esteem days. Mainly because I'm not wearing maternity clothes-- I'm wearing regular clothes that were just a big bigger than most of my stuff and I generally feel like a water buffalo. As Dave commented, if people don't know I'm pregnant they're going to think I've just packed on a few pounds. Great.

No comments: