Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Rembrandt Peale...

The Husband and I have been looking for ages for an old oil portrait that we could hang over the fireplace in the library. The other day I was checking on Ebay and I found a "live auction" out of Morris Plains, NJ and there were two nice looking oil portraits, both with low opening bids. I placed an absentee bid of about $150 for each. Yeah. I didn't happen to look at the "estimated" sale price for either of these paintings. The other night I show the Husband and I happen to see in the description of one of them that it's a Rembrandt Peale. The Peales were a very artistic family in the 1700 and 1800s, one of the Peale's painted a very famous picture of George Washington (or was it Barbara Bush.... oh, that's just mean, anyway I digress). Needless to say I'm not holding my breath that either of these jobbies will end up over *our* fireplace. Did I mention that upon closer inspection they're estimated to sell for between $10,000 and $50,000? Nice try, though.

No comments: