Friday, February 16, 2007

Goldfinger...

I'm in line at Cucina with the Husband and I remark that I am mesmerized by Eartha Kitt's rendition of The Girl From Ipanema playing on the stereo. The woman ahead of us in line looks at me and says, "I don't think that's Eartha Kitt. Shirley Bassey maybe." With this thought I am intrigued as indeed it could be Shirley Bassey and I hadn't even thought of Shirley. We're called to the next cashier and I ponder this point. Once we've paid we encounter the woman again at the napkin/utensil area and she says: "Eartha's voice isn't that good, do you know who Shirley Bassey is?" and I respond, "Of course, "Goldfinger"!" I then get back in response, "Very good, and you're so young!" I do have to say though, I think I was right the first time. A quick scan of Shirley's material on Amazon suggests that none of her currently available albums have The Girl from Ipanema, but Ms. Kitt, she's got one.

No comments: