Sunday, February 04, 2007

Pot Pieeeeee!

Last night we made pot pie and it worked out well!

I started with one box of chicken stock which I heated on medium and tossed in about 4 boneless chicken breasts, three large leeks (chopped-- white and light green parts only) and two large shallots, chopped. I separately boiled four good sized yukon gold potatoes (skins on, roughly diced) and a bunch of carrots-- also diced.

I added herbs de provence, basil, salt and black pepper to the chicken stock and simmered until the chicken was cooked through. Once the chicken was cooked I removed it from the broth and cut it up into good sized chunks. I put the chicken cubes back in the broth and drained the potatoes and carrots and put them in the broth as well. I then added whole baby onions and frozen sweet baby peas to the broth and continued to simmer. I added some cream and a good bit of corn starch to thicken the mixture.

Separately, I used pillsbury pre-made pie dough to line the bottom of an emile henry bowl... once I was happy with the consistency of the broth, chicken and vegetable mixture, I filled up the bowls. I then used another piece of pre-made pie dough to cover the top of the pot-pie, making a few slices in the top for venting and then putting an egg wash on the outside.

I baked the pot pies on 400 for about 15-20 minutes or until the pie crust was golden brown a bit puffy and the insides were bubbling.

My favorite part were the baby onions! We downed these while watching an episode of Black Adder (which, while Hugh Laurie was entertaining, just will never be one of my favorite "britcoms"...) All in all, though, a good dinner, especially on a chilly winter night! :)

Next time, I would maybe add some white wine to the broth... we just didn't have any handy...

No comments: