Monday, April 02, 2007

Resistance is Futile...

Have you seen those bluetooth headsets that people wear in conjunction with their cell phones? Well, one of the secretaries at the Job always has on her bluetooth headset (or as I affectionately refer to it as, her "borg headset"). She's always on the phone with either her husband or her kids or any other number of people. I've gotten used to walking past her desk and hearing her speak without a phone visible and I no longer have to wonder whether or not she's crazy, I know she just has on her borg headset. Well, this afternoon I walk into the ladies room and I hear her voice speaking. There is no one else in the ladies room and one of the stall doors is shut. Yes, that's right, she was on the phone, using her headset in the bathroom, while in an actual bathroom stall. A few moments go by and there is a flush and then she just keeps right on talking.

Hey, you know, if you want to use the bathroom while talking on the phone at home, fine, multitask all you want, perhaps you even want to do this while you're out in public at a restaurant or otherwise. It's not for me (outside of my own feeling of being constrained by proper phone etiquette there is always the tricky issue of there being an open water hazard which is ripe for the phone to fall into), but I'm not going to judge if you feel like the anonmity of a public restroom makes it okay to conduct a phone call within that space, but at work? Please. Leave the borg headset at your desk. Whoever you're speaking to will understand.

No comments: