Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Jamie Oliver Week Starts Off with a Bust...

Sadly, this week's theme has not started off very auspiciously. I tried out Jamie's recipe for Pappardelle with polpette and tomato basil sauce (from the Jamie Cooks cookbook). Jamie doesn't specify what type of meat he'd like you to use for the mini meatballs and I should have known better than to buy the veal/pork/beef mixture from Wegmans. I should have gone with 85/15 ground beef from Whole Foods. For that matter, I should have just used my own meatball recipe. Jamie's got you adding in nutmeg and cinnamon and it just wasn't the right flavor or texture. I guess I should have taken it as a sign of things to come when Wegman's didn't have any pappardelle and I had to settle for farfalle. Wish us luck for the rest of the week.... we're trying out Jamie's recipe for Asparagus soup, "English" onion soup, risotto with walnuts, apples and gorgonzola and the piece de resistance... home made gnocci (with gorgonzola dolce sauce...). Jamie's shortbread is also on the list. Here's to hoping the rest of the week's choices will be better.

Shout out though to the Husband for making us some jello-pudding for dessert. (I think I made need a small PB&J sandwich before bed though)...

1 comment:

Sue said...

I'm shocked you just didn't make your own pappardelle...didn't you see Michael Chiarello's recipe in this month's Gourmet mag?? It looks very easy....