Friday, January 30, 2009

Risotto!

Tonight we had risotto thanks to Jamie Cooks! The recipe was for gorgonzola, walnut and apple risotto but I mixed it up a bit. I used D'Anjou pear instead of apple and I added in two table spoons of gorgonzola dolce in addition to the crumbled gorgonzola and goat cheese that the recipe calls for. I also dispensed with the marjoram.

I would like to try this again with apple-- I think it would bring a nice crisp flavor and might make this a good spring or fall risotto. But, that being said, with the pear and the extra cheese it was very creamy and very good!

I first started making risotto after watching a Jamie Oliver show on tv where he prepared risotto with peas, pesto and shrimp. It looked easy so I thought I would give it a try. Then, when I got the Jamie's Italy cookbook I followed his recipe for risotto and it came perfectly. Tonight's was no exception-- if you want to try risotto I definitely recommend his method. After the success of this week's gnocchi and the risotto I'm thinking about going back to Jamie's Italy and see if he's got a recipe for polenta!

Tomorrow? English Onion Soup.

Sunday? Superbowl snack foods... maybe fondue will be in our future.

No comments: