Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tonight's Dinner!

Tonight we had roasted asparagus wrapped in proscuitto (Giada's recipe)



as an appetizer and then for the main dish, fettucini with a veggie and tomato pasta sauce. I made the sauce by first sauteeing in olive oil one clove of garlic, minced, together with two small zucchinis which I sliced and cut into quarters. I also cut up a red pepper and added that to the pan, together with a handfull of sliced baby bella mushrooms. Once the veggies started to soften, I hadded a hand full of fresh arugula. Once the arugula was wilted, I added in a can of san marzano crushed tomatoes. I simmered the sauce and added a bit of fresh pepper, some salt, a touch of cream and some balsamic vinegar. By the time the pasta was cooked the sauce was ready to go to. It was light and fresh. Next time I think I would probably use a different pasta shape (maybe pappardelle?) but I certainly liked the veggie tastes.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

You sound like you're a wonderful cook. This asparagus wrapped in prosciutto looks heavenly.

Rue said...

Thanks!! I'm not that great of a cook, but everything I learned, I learned from my Mom! The prosciutto/asparagus is really tasty and incredibly easy! It's in one of Giada's cookbooks, but basically you roast the asparagus on 450, tossed in olive oil with fresh ground pepper and a little bit of salt. Once the asparagus has roasted (about 15 minutes) you take it out of the oven and then wrap proscuitto around it (I usually do one piece of proscuitto to two stems of asparagus... if I've gotten thin spears). Then you can put a bit of shaved parmesan on top. It's great, quick and tasty!

Lynn said...

Thanks for the instructions, Weef! I'll be trying this one for sure. I love prosciutto, but the only thing I really know to do with it is wrap it around cantaloupe spears, which is part of our Christmas brunch every year. This looks so so so good. :)

Thanks for coming by my blog, too. It is fun to find kindred spirits online.