Saturday, April 04, 2009

Crafting!

So, I really like making outfits for Miss B. but I always get hung up with the whole "fasteners" concept. I'm too lazy to re-learn how to use the button hole maker on the sewing machine and I've never put a zipper in anything before. This makes it difficult to make more than pants with elastic waistbands. Until today! Miss B. has a couple of dresses which looked like they were made from t-shirts with skirts sewn on... so I figured I'd give it a try myself!





















Target has great t-shirts for kids and they're only $5.99. I picked out one in navy blue because it matched some really cool batik-type fabric I had bought as a remnant at JoAnn for $2.59. To add some pizzaz and to make this a potential outfit for the birthday party that Miss B. has plans to attend this weekend, I added a tulle skirt (total cost $2.99). Then I added a ribbon trim to hide the seaming and tied on some coordinating ribbon as contrast. (Note that the ribbon tie at the back is off-center intentionally! It's a design element ;)






















The finishing touch? A matching hair accessory! Check that out!




















I started the project this afternoon during naptime and finished it off this evening. Next I'm going to try the same thing but the base shirt is going to be a hot pink tank top and the skirt material is a pastel paisley/floral. I'm hoping it will be super cute for spring/summer!

3 comments:

Sue said...

This is fabulous!! See i knew there was no reason to learn how touse that pesky zipper foot...

Necie said...

When I was little I loved the clothes my mom made. The tee shirt dress is beautiful. It looks perfect for spring. Please post pics when Miss S. wears the dress.

ThirtySomethingMommy said...

Super cute! You're so talented! Will you please come spend a week with me and teach me how to do this cool stuff? :)