Monday, November 13, 2006

Luna Bars...

I've always wanted to like granola bars. Ever since I was a kid I got hooked in by the creepy Quaker Oats man and the image of those granola bars with little chocolate chips in them. I don't know why. I'm not a fan of trail mix, I hate oatmeal, farina, cream of wheat and all of that. I've also had an odd relationship with yogurt, however, also wanting to be able to "develop a taste for" that... something which I had managed to do right up until I had that one bad experience. Anyway, I digress. While some people try to have an "acquired" taste for beer, I try and acquire a taste for strange health foods (which I understand is completely counter to the fact that I won't eat fruit-- though, in my defense, I will eat fruit products and I have been very proud of myself that at the age of 30 I bought a juicer and have made a concerted effort to learn to love orange juice).

These days I'm in need of vitamins. I used to eat Frosted Flakes cereal bars for breakfast until they no longer carried them at Wegmans. Then one day, at brunch, a friend of a friend was talking about how on a walk around Manhattan up in Inwood she couldn't even find a Luna Bar. I had tried Pria bars, but never a Luna Bar. I filed this away in my memory.

The other day I was at Wegmans and I was drawn in to the power bar aisle. It is a scary place, really, burt's bees products on one side of the aisle and box upon box of various power bar related products on the other side. Cliff Bars, Luna Bars, Power Bars, Protien Bars, Pria Bars. Who even knows what to buy? And they all have strange "flavor" names like Dulce de Leche, Lemon Zest. Really, how is it that we're going to make this thing taste like Lemon Zest? Well. I got lured in. I bought a cookies and creme Luna Bar.

The next day at work, I try it. I'll give them credit, it's not half bad looking, at first. It kind of looks like someone made a rice krispie treat out of Cocoa Pebbles and then dipped the whole thing in a small layer of some sort of speckled frosting product. So for the taste. It leaves a bit to be desired. As long as you get some of the frosting stuff it's okay, but the main problem is that you have to look at this thing as its coming closer to your mouth. I swear, I think I saw tree bark.

I know, I know, it has folic acid, calcium, iron, various alphabetical vitamins, but still. Tree bark. It was in there. I know it.

No comments: